Buttercream icing is my all time favorite! There are so many things you can do with it and it’s always delicious! Over lots of time making buttercream frosting I’ve come up with a super easy and quite delicious recipe that is incredibly versatile and it only takes about 5 minutes to make. I know that so many people tend to use store bought frosting and I just can’t understand why. Why would you use store bought when it takes a few minutes to make the most delicious frosting ever and you don’t have to deal with all of those yucky preservatives and additives that come with the store bought stuff, plus the taste is just so much better too!
I was playing around with my buttercream recipe the other day and seeing how many variations I could make with things I had on hand at the house and ended up with six different kinds of buttercream (all delicious!) Vanilla, Chocolate, Maple, Peanut Butter, Coconut, and Orange so I thought I’d share them with you guys, they are all definitely worth trying!
Buttercream Recipes –
- Vanilla Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and a splash of milk.
Cream the butter with a whisk until it’s really smooth (this step is super important and the butter has to be soft Not Melted or you’ll just end up with a gross sugar clump instead of frosting) make sure there are no clumps left in the butter and then slowly add the powdered sugar, smoothing out the mixture each time you add sugar. Stir in the vanilla extract and add a bit of milk until the frosting is a good consistency. Yay! Buttercream!
So for the rest of these recipes you’ll follow the directions from the vanilla but alter the ingredients accordingly.
- Chocolate Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter, about 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, and a splash of milk.
- Maple Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter, 1 and 2/3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of imitation maple extract
- Peanut Butter Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter,about 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a splash of milk, 1/2 a cup of peanut butter.
- Coconut Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter, about 2 cups of powdered sugar, 3 teaspoons of coconut extract, a very small splash of milk
- Orange Buttercream: 2 sticks of softened butter, about 2 cups of powdered sugar, the juice and zest of 1 orange
Well, there you have it. Lots of buttercream deliciousness awaits you!
Do you have any yummy buttercream recipes or flavors that you love?
Hope you have a super fantastic Thursday!