The super pretty weather that we’ve been having lately really makes me want to bake and cook more, drink lemonade, and eat salads on my porch. I’m just itching for Spring and while I cook a lot in the Fall and Winter the Spring just gets me more and more excited to cook. One of my first cooking-with-the-windows-open recipes for this year was Eggplant Parmesan – it is one of my very favorite meals and I thought I would share my recipe with you and give you some spring cooking inspiration as well.
You’ll Need: 1 Eggplant, 1 1/2 cups of plain breadcrumbs (you can use Italian breadcrumbs if you’d like but I prefer to season them myself), 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, 2 eggs, a splash of milk, vegetable oil, 2 cups of marinara sauce (I use Newman’s Own. I haven’t quite found a homemade recipe I’m super happy with yet) and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
1) Slice your eggplant lengthwise and season both sides with salt and pepper.
2) Mix together your breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and season with italian seasoning, salt,and pepper to taste and place the mix in a shallow bowl or dish.
3) Mix 2 eggs with a splash of milk, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or dish.
4) Set out your eggplant, breadcrumb mixture, and egg mixture near a clean plate and dredge your eggplant in the mixes. Cover the eggplant with breadcrumbs then the egg mixture then back in the breadcrumbs until all of the eggplant pieces are thoroughly coated.
5) Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and fry breaded eggplant on both sides until crispy and brown.
6) place your eggplant pieces on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes.
7) In a baking dish layer the eggplant pieces with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese like a lasagna finishing with a nice covering of the cheese
8) pop your dish back in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and wonderful
9) Serve with pasta, salad, bread, etc.
10) eat and eat.
I hope you guys have a fantastic Thursday!